How-to: Create a Plant Based Kitchen & Pantry
I still remember the churning in my stomach and the icky feeling I got each time I went to eat meat. These were the last days that led up to a significant morning - the morning I decided I was just done with it. On this day, there was a rock-solid knowingness I felt, although I used to be a meat-lovin’ girl! But eventually, there wasn’t anything about chicken, turkey, beef or pork that seemed appealing or attractive. Over time, I did add some seafood back into my diet. But as for my lifestyle and habits in general, I have chosen to eat - and to live - as healthy as I possibly can, and for me, this meant eliminating my consumption of meat. Although it may sound like my transition happened overnight, it didn’t! It was really the culmination of years of personal growth, questionable health symptoms, research and awareness that ultimately led me to my decision.
Whether you’ve decided to go 100% plant-based or just want to take the next step in upgrading and ‘healthifying’ your kitchen, you’re in the right place. Together, we’ll give your fridge and pantry a complete makeover while instantly upgrading your nutritional habits for a healthier, more joyful you. Yep, your health has everything to do with your overall happiness.
What is a plant-based lifestyle?
A plant-based, aka vegan diet, includes any food that is sourced from a type of plant. A 100% plant-based lifestyle would then exclude any food that is animal-based, including the actual flesh and byproduct, like dairy, eggs or even honey.
So, what can I eat on a plant-based diet?
Any whole food (organic when possible) - fruit, vegetable, nut, seed, legume, and so on. Any food not sourced from an animal. There are many creative meatless products on the market. Be sure to look for items that are non-GMO (not a genetically modified organism).
I’ve heard of the 80/20 lifestyle. What is this and how does it compare?
80/20 typically refers to adhering to your desired way of eating or lifestyle (in this case, plant-based) 80% of the time, while allowing the remaining 20% of foods to include more flexible options if you are not interested in or ready to go 100% plant-based/vegan.
Better health. If you’re serious about taking your health from 0 to 100, then eating a mostly plant-based diet may be the most impactful thing you can do to improve your health, quality of life and longevity. More and more research is showing that a meatless diet may extend the human lifespan and improve quality of day-to-day living as well.
Chronic symptoms like anxiety, depression, pain, inflammation (and more) are more closely linked to diet than you may think. We aren’t just what we eat. We are what we digest and absorb. Animal flesh is difficult to digest and acidic in nature. While it may provide some nutrients, the acid from a traditional diet including meat can contribute to dis-ease in the body. Dis-ease cannot live in an alkaline environment, but it can and does live in an acidic one.
Our gut health is paramount. It is the foundation for the rest of our physical health. What you won’t hear most doctors talk about is the extent to which our gut communicates with our brain. We often think of our brain as the “master” of the body, but thousands of nerve cells in the gut communicate with the brain, so if our gut health is out of whack, it’s no wonder why the rest of us suffers as well. What we put in our mouths can fuel health or dis-ease. You choose.
Healthier planet. The cattle and dairy industry alone is responsible for more greenhouse gases than all other sources. Astonishing, right? The less meat we consume, the healthier it is for our body and for the Earth. If everyone on the planet consumed meat, we could potentially run out of land on which to raise livestock anyway!
Ethical, spiritual or religious reasons. Most people who have eliminated meat will tell you that they are concerned with the inhumane practices that many animals undergo. There is also the position that consuming meat leaves us responsible for the unnecessary slaughter of so many animals.
Make a list of your favorite foods/meals and use compliant substitutions to make them healthier (and plant-based).
Buy in bulk when sensible and affordable.
Buy organic when possible to avoid harmful toxins.
Make friends with meal planning and meal prepping.
Make sure you also check out our article, 6 Tips to Transition to a Plant-based Lifestyle for more support on your journey!
Bonus! Download The Simple Guide to a Plant-based Pantry.
If you’ve enjoyed this content and need a little guidance transitioning to a cleaner diet, or want to detox your kitchen, consider enrolling in a health & lifestyle coaching program! View the programs in our store or book a free consultation HERE to see if we’re a good fit for one another.