Cranberry-Pecan Granola w/Flax
Looking for a nutritious and delicious way to start your day? Look no further than this easy, tasty and Omega 3-rich granola recipe. You can batch make it on the weekend for easy access throughout the week (if it lasts that long!). I like to eat this as cereal - only it isn’t processed and full of sugar like store-bought varieties.
This recipe is adaptable and allows many substitutions, so feel free to make it your own! It is naturally vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free and contains no granulated sugar.
What you’ll need:
- 3 c old-fashion rolled oats (not quick cooking) Use certified GF if necessary.
- 1 c ground flax seed
- 1 c raw pecans, roughly chopped (just break them up some with your hands)
- 1/4 c vegan butter or quality non-gmo oil - I used coconut oil (do not use soybean or canola)
- 1/4 c coconut sugar
- 1/4 c maple syrup or agave
- 1/2 c dried cranberries (unsulphured)
- 1 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
- pinch sea salt
- 1-2 cookie sheets
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl and combine.
- Add oil and liquid portion of sweetener.
- Pour onto large cookie sheet and spread out evenly. You will likely need to use 2 cookie sheets so the granola cooks evenly.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and let cool for 10 minutes. Granola will harden as it cools.
I rarely snack - you can learn why and more about the importance of not snacking for most people in my 30-Day Healthy Living Program - so I eat my granola like cereal and top with berries or other low glycemic fruit. You can add a little more sweetener if needed. Store in a closed, airtight container to maintain freshness. Can also keep in refrigerator for maximum freshness in warmer months.